Author Topic: Speed paneling  (Read 1020 times)

CFink

• View Profile
Speed paneling
« on: May 10, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
By analogy to speed dating. For a 50-minute slot, pick 9 topics. Each gets 5 minutes. (Five minutes to explain the concept, etc.) Each panel is 4 people. Each gets 30 seconds to talk about the topic. After this first 2 minutes, the panel talks about it for 2:30. The moderator (not on the panel) limits everyone to no more than 15 seconds per comment. At 4:30, panel is over and 4 new people swap in. The first panel is Program Participants only--after that, people from the audience can line up to tag in, but only in the order they line up in--they can't pick a topic. If 36 people don't want to participate, people from previous panels can line up at the end.

Topics should be a mix, say, "Science Fiction is a type of Fantasy," and "The SCA has nothing to do with real history." That is, controversial topics that fans have opinions about.

If this seems too frenetic, have 6 topics in 48 minutes or 5 topics in 45 minutes or whatever and adjust.

What do you think?

Vyrdolak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Speed paneling
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
I don't really see this working, at least not in a convention this size. Just imagining how long it takes for 4 ordinary panelists to get to the room, get seated and settled, get the audience's attention and start the panel...I have a hard time imagining panels rotating out in five minute cycles. Some cons have done five-minute speed talks, but those are individual people.

I think panels are better when they're more relaxed, anyway. There's usually so much to cover as it is!